Thursday, October 30, 2008

Letters Home

October 30, 2008

Hey family,

Well I am kind of busy and do not have a lot of time right now (like always). Actually we have a district meeting today and afterwards I get to do a baptismal interview. That is one of my favorite things to do because you can really see the changes that people have taken. Right now I have two families that are progressing or parts of the families are progressing. We have a few baptismal dates. I think if we exercise a lot of faith we could have about 5 baptisms or more in this month. Our goal is to have 15 baptisms by the end of the month.You know what? I am starting to get old. The mission sometimes just takes it out of you. Everyone one has been telling me that I have a bunch of wrinkles and bags under my eyes and I never really sleep well anymore. I feel fine just always tired, however I know that the Lord gives us strength when we are in the right cause and we ask for it. So I read a testimony that Pres. Packer gave in a testimony meeting. I am not sure if it is true or not, but it sounded like a warning call. He said that hard times were coming and that the youth will be forced to learn to live without all the things they have been so used to using. He said that we are seeing a financial crisis that we have not seen since the great depression. Actually that is what I am hearing from everyone right now. So my next question would be how is everything going over there? I do not know how it works out but actually the American dollar has more value here almost everyday. It has stayed at about 10 to 11 pesos per dollar for just about ever and in the last 2 months has jumped to 15. So now every dollar is worth 15 pesos basically. Pretty cool huh. So you all got another Dog. That is cool however I am not a fan of the big dogs but maybe he´ll grow on my when I get back. Hey you know what. My trainer is going to be going home this change. Crazy huh. His name is elder Bradshaw. I can not believe how time flies.

Ok now a couple stories. Well the other day my companion elder Padilla and I were walking and we passed one of the giant blow up air castles that kids jump around in. They are really popular here. Anyways everyone was jumping around in it and we heard a pop. The outside corner had blew out. However nobody noticed so we just kept walking by while watching it. Sure enough it started to deflate and everyone started getting pushed down. It was so funny however I think that maybe it is funnier to see than to hear about.

The other day we were driving to an appointment in a bus and as Sean now knows the bus drivers are crazy yet extremely skilled and can come within inches of things at high speeds. Well this time the bus driver was even more crazy and driving extremely fast and hit the side of a car. We were fine but a girl that was standing flew really far. It was actually also really funny.

This last week I did another Road trip to Colima. It was fun but we got a lost a lot this time. I did not get to sleep until one in the morning. What a crazy experience. I have now visited just about every place in the mission. There is only one zone that I have yet to visit, that being Ácambaro. I do not know when we will go there. I have to say however that Colima is my favorite drive, Very beautiful. Well I think I am now ready to drive in any place in the world. I have basically mastered México traffic. Ok well that is all.

Elder Mckibben~

also Elder Mckibben wanted me to post this on his blog:

¨Por fin me he dado cuenta que todos se han cansado de escribirme por que yo nunca puedo responder sin embargo voy a intentarlo más.

2 comments:

Grandma Jeanie said...

Glad Jesse's doing okay ... being tired is something that happens, especially on a mission I guess. Hope he stays well and continues to enjoy this rich experience.
Jeanie Bean

Don Layton said...

That Pres Packer interview was copied by a well-meaning sister in attendance but there are parts of it that she did not get correct. President Packer himself reminded her that we do not quote entire talks from General Authorities out of conference.

I think the basic warning was that we are in difficult times and should be prepared. It's no different than what we have been taught to do for the past 50 years or so.